Microsoft have announced the general availability of the Lists app in Teams. As you might already know, Microsoft Lists is a Microsoft 365 app that helps you track information and organise your work. Lists are simple, smart, and flexible, so you can stay on top of what matter most to your team. Track patients, loans, issues, assets, routines, contacts, inventory and more using customisable views and smart rules and alerts to keep everyone in sync. With ready-made templates, you can quickly create lists from directly within Teams and access them on the Teams mobile app by accessing the Lists tab you added as a channel.
Introducing the Lists app in Teams
The vision of the Lists app in Teams is to bring all the collaboration and communication modalities to lists and list items, so it is easy to get work done.
The new Lists app experience in Microsoft Teams, for mobile on the left and for Web and desktop on the right.
Lists in Teams is supported as a team based tab app built on top of the Microsoft Teams platform and supports the following features:
- New list creation from scratch, from templates (8 standard templates and 3 industry specific ones: Patients, Loans and Incidents), from Excel table data and from an existing list.
- Importing existing team lists as new tabs.
- All standard list features that you can access in SharePoint web: column types, view formatting, Quick Edit, exporting to Excel, sorting, filtering, etc.
- The ability to have a channel conversation about a list item (see below for more details).
- All user actions on the list are audited and available in the Security and compliance center audit logging.
How do I get started?
To get started, simply go to any channel where you would like to start tracking a list and hit the “+” button to explore the tab gallery and select the Lists app. Once the tab is added you can either create a new list or bring in an existing list (from another team or an older SharePoint site, but not a personal list from Lists home) into the channel as a new tab.
Create a new list inside Teams with conversations side-by-side. The above shows using the Asset manager template.
The Lists app in Teams includes 3 new industry-specific templates – Patients, Loans and Incidents. Team members start managing and tracking these key entities. Here are some examples of how these templates can be leveraged.
Create a new list from within Microsoft Teams and choose from numerous ready-made templates, including the new industry-specific ones.
- Healthcare organisations can use the Lists app in Teams to support patient rounding, multi-disciplinary huddles and discharge planning. The Patients template is an easy way for all health teams to track patient progress and keep in touch with their peers. If you have questions about storage of PHI in Teams, Lists, or Office 365, please see more documentation here.
- Government agencies can use the Lists app in Teams to track incidents and coordinated incident response. The Incidents template helps people quickly setup a list and get started.
- Loan officers at a mortgage broker or bank can use the Lists app to track a set of loans and informally collaborate on advancing them to approval. The Loans template helps them get started with plenty of scope for further customisation
How do I start a conversation alongside a list item?
Once you have configured the tab and have a list with list items, you can start a conversation about an individual list item. go to the details view (or form) for the list item by clicking into the title field and then click on conversation to start a conversation about the list item on the channel. With this feature, you can collaborate with your team about the list item and get work done, faster.
Since the conversation is a channel message in Teams, all the messaging features like @mentions, rich text, gifs, stickers, emojis, mentions, tagging, and attachments are available for use! The conversation shows up in the right rail for the list item and also on the channel for those who might not have viewed the list as yet.
You can chat side-by-side individual list items within Teams.
See more about getting started with the Lists app in Teams “Create a list in Microsoft Teams” click-thru demo. And do not forget to try the Lists app experience in Teams mobile app to track your lists within Teams on the go. Just go to your Teams android or iOS mobile apps and go to the channel where you have added the Lists app and click on more and tap on the tab name to open up the list.
We are very excited to get stuck in with Microsoft Lists. Contact us today if you would like us to discuss in more detail.
We will be sharing more about Microsoft Lists and it’s Teams integration with you very soon.