Planning, implementing, and managing an onboarding experience for new employees is time consuming and challenging. For organisations, it’s difficult to efficiently onboard new employees into the complexity of an organisation’s structure, people, processes, and culture. Only 12% of employees strongly agree their organisation does a great job of onboarding new employees. For new employees, the onboarding experience is often exciting, but can also be stressful, overwhelming, and inconsistent. New employees who have a negative onboarding experience are more likely to look for new opportunities within the first six months of starting work.
Microsoft are working to help customers improve their new hire onboarding experience. A new set of SharePoint site templates on the SharePoint look book has launched called the New Employee Onboarding (NEO) hub.
The NEO hub helps organisations:
- Provide new employees resources, support, and general information.
- Connect new employees to people, community, and culture.
- Help stakeholders easily contribute to new employee onboarding.
An engaging and well-organised NEO process can make all the difference. Helping a new hire navigate through an exciting – but stressful – career journey can have major organisational benefits:
- Improve new hire performance and time to productivity. Organisations with a standard onboarding process report 50% greater new-hire productivity.
- Improve new employee retention. 69% of employees are more likely to stay with a company for three years if the had a great onboarding experience.
New employee onboarding involves creating an end-to-end experience for new employees that begins before their first day on the job. Research has shown pre-onboarding new hires can lead to higher performance and better retention rates. New employee onboarding also involves providing support on multiple levels within an organisation, like corporate and departmental onboarding. Each onboarding level provides its own unique value, contributing to a comprehensive onboarding experience that each new employee will benefit from. To deliver a consistent and integrated new hire onboarding experience, the NEO hub consists of three type of SharePoint site templates. These are designed to work as one cohesive and familiar experience for new hires.
To help accelerate your implementation of a new employee onboarding hub in your tenant the following highlights just some of the features included.
- A fully configured and customisable set of new hire sites built on SharePoint communication sites: The NEO hub brings together the sites, information architecture, design, user interface and webparts. These help provide new hires with a great onboarding experience. The NEO hub can be customised to add your organisation’s new hire content and to align with its look and feel.
- Onboarding checklist: Onboarding can be an overwhelming experience for new hires with everything the new hire is typically expected to do and learn. Avoid overwhelming your new employees by providing them a curated onboarding journey. Pace your new hires through a configurable activity list of onboarding to-do’s.
- Sample new hire site pages: To inspire and provide design templates for arranging your content, the NEO hub includes sample inner site pages. Use these site pages as templates for your content.
- Mobile ready: The NEO hub can be easily accessed on mobile devices so your new hires can continue their onboarding from wherever they may be working.